Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Mighty Niagra- Water, Fire and Lights!



I was feeling a little restless and decided to take a wee spin on the bike up to Niagra Falls. It is a place I remember from my childhood, and yet somehow as an adult, I almost didn't recognize it.

It has been almost 40 years since I was there last, and as I recall, I almost died. And no it was not from going over the falls in a barrel. I had gotten very ill and had a 107 degree fever. My family frantically cleaned out all the ice machines in the hotel we were staying at to give me a much needed deep freeze in the bathtub. So maybe that is the reason why my memory is a little foggy. But I doubt it.

I think what happens is that things seem more impressive and grandiose when you are young. As for the falls themselves, they are still cool to look at, but I can't say all that much for the surrounding area. It looks like it has seen better days. And as impressive as the falls are from either side, there really is not a whole lot to see there other than the various tourist traps, and they hardly measure up to the awe inspiring appeal of Mother Nature anyway or anyhow.

I decided to check out the falls at night, as I had often heard that they shine big colored lights on them. As an added bonus they were also planning a fireworks show for that night. So I was feeling most fortunate for being in the right place at the right time.

It was a fun trip over all, took lots of pictures and some video here and there. And decided to throw a little clip together so you can see some of what I was priviledged to experience first hand! Hope you enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment